Friday, October 30, 2009

Young Justice justice?

So the current book up for review is Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #6, which features a two-part story guest-starring Young Justice. While reading through the issue and working on my review, it was hard not to see just how much the characters from Young Justice have been changed over the last ten years.

And I'm not just talking about their appearance, although their costumes did have had some drastic changes.






For the most part, it's hard to find fault about their aesthetic changes. Poor Superboy, such a slave to the fashion of the time. Do you think that if he had been created during the 80's he'd have been wearing a Thriller jacket and parachute pants instead?

No, the big change has been on an emotional level with what DC has actually put these characters through in the last ten years. And remember, these are supposed to be kids. Granted their young teens, but they are still kids.



Which leads me to my theory about why DC refuses to collect the Young Justice series in trade paperback.

If they did, they'd have such wildly different versions of the characters on the shelf next to each other that they'd have to tacitly acknowledge exactly what they put those nice young kids through.

2 comments:

  1. I dunno though, if DC can put out four Diana Prince trades without worrying about contextualising, why not trade one of the most entertaining series of the last 20 years?

    Love the compare and contrast pics - I keep mistaking Bob-Bob-Bobbing Tim for Dr Midnite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get no argument from me. I love reading the different takes on characters that evolve over time, and try to enjoy each of them independantly of the other.

    Hell, being a Superman fan practically demands it. How many different versions of his origin story are there that were each considered canon for their time? Six? Seven?

    I think the Red Robin costume is actually starting to grow on me for Tim Drake. I was eagerly looking forward to the Tim vs. Damian fight for the soul of the Robin identity, but each of them has been changed for the better so I'm cool for now.

    ReplyDelete