Monday, October 12, 2009

Up next...Ghost!

Did you ever have one of those days where you wake up and realize you're months behind on your comic book reading? I vividly remember a time when I would have to make a conscious effort to not read everything on Wednesday night, that way I had some things to read over the weekend.

As I'm typing this post, I'm looking at a relatively daunting bookshelf filled with both single issues, hardcovers, and trade paperbacks that I can feel taunting me with a sense of dread that would make the tell-tale heart proud.

Full runs of issues are screaming at me to be read, like the last twenty issues of Proof, Joe Kelly's I Kill Giants, Mice Templar, the Reign in Hell mini-series that I picked up off of eBay two months ago, the latest Agents of Atlas series, the Dark Horse run of Rex Mundi...

Those are only the ones that I know that are up there from memory. I'm almost scared to thumb through 'em for fear that I'll find something even older lying untouched.

The hardcovers I have a better track record of keeping up with, but there are still a lot to contend with. Y: The Last Man, Swamp Thing, Gotham Central, the last two collections of Queen And Country...

So what did I decide to do yesterday? It probably shouldn't have been go to the bookstore to get a new hardcover, but that's what I did anyway. It's hard to say no to a 40% coupon at Borders, and Starman Omnibus Vol. 1 was the lucky winner.

Needless to say, let' get the next pick underway so we can get back to reading.

...and the next random book up for review is Ghost #1 from April 1995, published by Dark Horse Comics!

The long dominance of Marvel and DC comics has come to an end after 12 straight issues, and the kingslayer is probably Dark Horse's most well known super-hero book. If you are a comic book fan, Ghost is probably the most well known, but if you're a movie fan it's probably Barb Wire.

I know what you're saying...Dark Horse and Superheroes? Someone has their chocolate in my peanut butter!

Dark Horse may be known for their licensed books and the Hellboy franchise, but there was a time in the mid-90's when they gave the old super hero genre a shot. I remember a modest amount of excitement and enthusiasm at the beginning, but that it petered out in relatively short order.

We get lucky with this issue of Ghost, as the art is by Adam Hughes. If I remember correctly, this title did have consistently good pencillers, even though they did have a higher turnover rate than Spinal Tap drummers.

R.I.P..."Stumpy" Pepys, Stumpy Joe, Pete "the James" Bond, Mick Shrimpton, Joe "Mama" Besser, Ric Shrimpton, Scott "Skippy" Scuffleton, Chris "Poppa" Cadeau, et al...you are all remembered.

See you in a day or two for the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment