Thursday, October 29, 2009

Up next...Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.

It's that time again where we fire up the Randomizer for another random jaunt through the longboxes.

Normally, I like to do a bit of bantering before we get to the actual pick, but it's going to be a quick one today. I used up all of my creative inspiration turning a pumpkin into an R2-D2-o-lantern. Although I see now that I should have used C-3PO as my inspiration, as C-3PO-lantern has a much better ring to it.

So what is the next book up for review? Take it away Randomizer...

...and that book is Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #6 from January 2000, published by DC Comics!

It's easy to see from the selection of books reviewed so far that I'm a bit of an Avengers and Superman fan. But there are also a couple of other strong interests that have that have yet to be highlighted by the Randomizer.

Today ends one of those mystery interests, as we encounter our first Geoff Johns book. I think I have literally read every single one of his books, with one glaring exception.

Back at the close of the last century, one of my favorite books was Starman. When Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. was being solicited, Starman was in it's prime, and there was no better book around. This title wasn't a direct spin-off, but it did have enough of a connection, as well as the zero issue being co-written by James Robinson, that I decided to give it a chance.

I'm glad I did, as I have been a fan ever since and I got to enjoy Johns' work from day one.

So what is the big hole in my Geoff Johns collection? It's the Flash. I read some issues here and there over the years, but the character never really did anything for me. It wasn't until Geoff's last year on the title that I finally broke down and picked up one of his issues. It instantly became a must read title for me, and I have since done the requisite flagellation to atone for my sins and have gotten caught up with the trades.

This review should be fun, as I have never reread this series. It'll be interesting to read this now that Geoff Johns has firmly established himself as a modern master, to see if his famous Midas touch was there from the very beginning.

See you in a day or two for the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment