Friday, October 2, 2009

Adventures in Horribly Dated Panels

Since I had such a good time with The X-Men vs. The Avengers #2 from yesterday, I thought I may as well read the first issue too.

It was a little more "talky" than the second issue, but it was still just as entertaining. And speaking of talky, I came across a horribly outdated panel that completely threw me out of the story and I wanted to share it with everyone.

Before we get to the panel though, I have to preface by pointing out that I was recently listening to one of the Bendis Tapes sessions on Word Balloon where Brian Bendis was giving someone (Matt Fraction?) a hard time about using current pop culture references in their stories.

He went on to tell a funny story about how someone thought it would be a good idea to give Peter Parker a Fred Durst style, red baseball cap when they were launching Ultimate Spider-Man.

Why would that've been such a bad idea? I present to the court Exhibit A...


To have a little more fun with it, let's take Bendis' example and "modernize" this panel up to the 90's!

No comments:

Post a Comment