Saturday, September 26, 2009

Up next...Excalibur!

Before we get to the next random book to review, I just wanted to say thanks to a couple of blogs that were kind enough to link to one of my reviews and throw some traffic my way.

A big thank you to Pat over at Silver Age Comics, as he linked to me not once, but twice! If you like checking in with comics from the silver age, you probably are already familiar with his excellent blog. But if by chance you've been reading comics in a cave and are unfamiliar with his site, be sure to stop by and say hi.

Thanks also to neilalien! Aside from having one of the best website names ever, he's also got a heck of a Dr. Strange fansite.

So welcome aboard to all the new people who've been checking out my blog. Feel free to poke around a bit and make yourself at home. I love hearing what other people have to say about the books that the Randomizer picks, so don't be shy.

Speaking of the Randomizer, let's fire it up and see what the next pick is...

...and that book is Excalibur #83 from November 1994, published by Marvel Comics.

I don't know what it is about this title, but it's fans seem to be rather enthusiastic about it. I always get a chuckle when I hear Ron at iFanboy wax fondly about this title, as I tend to do the same thing when it comes up in general conversation.

Which reminds me of an interesting anecdote, now that we're talking Excalibur.

It's funny how different the world of comic books was pre-internet (hell, everything was different pre-interent, but since this is a comic book blog I'll try to keep focused). When I started reading The Uncanny X-Men back around the 180's, my three favorite characters were Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, and Rachel Summers.

Don't ask me how, but I literally had no clue that the three of them were together in a different title after they left the main series. It's one of those memories I'll never forget, when the owner of my comic shop at the time showed me a copy of Excalibur.

"You mean to tell me that my three favorite characters are in a book together? And it's written by Chris Claremont?"

My mind was blown. I can't imagine anything like that happening in this day and age. There's so much information out there, that I can't fathom not knowing about every title months ahead of its release. Like I said, it was a different time.

See you in a day or two for the review, but in the meantime, just try to take your eyes off that Sienkiewicz cover! There's something about it that I find oddly captivating.

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I've come full circle on advance info. When I was new to the internet years ago, I eagerly sought out bits and pieces and tidbits of upcoming comics (and movies and teevee shows...). Now, I just can't find the energy or time. I'm happily back in a "pre-internet" mode where I let the tidbits come to me by fluke. I guess part of my falling away was there seemed no way to find out interesting items of news without spoilers or wading thru tedious newsgroup/forum flame discussions.

    You have a nice site. I look forward to reading more. OH, and I don't see any downside to guest writers stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya. I like to keep abreast of what titles certain creators are working on, so I'll peruse the previews once a month to see who's doing what. But I usually skip the description and cover, in favor of keeping some suspense.

    Other than that, I'm with you. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete