Friday, September 18, 2009

Up next...Captain America!

It's been a quite week in world of comic books, post buyouts and reorganizations. I'll see what I can do to spice things up in a bit with the next random book to review, but lets take a look at the week that was until then.

No Superman movie...no surprise there.

An animated DC Crisis movie...cautiously optimistic.

Phillip Tan follows up Frank Quitely on Batman and Robin, and it's still a four-star book.

Like I said, it was a quiet week. In fact, the most exciting announcement wasn't even an announcement. DC revealed the new line-up for Robinson and Bagley's Justice League title with about as little fanfare as possible. No press release, no interview, just a lonely little in-house ad. Granted, it was in Blackest Night, so it did have that going for it.

It was actually kind of nice to be surprised when I turned the page with no prior knowledge gained from the internet. When was the last time that happened?

As for the actual line-up, I'm in a wait-and-see mode. It's Robinson, who I generally like, but so far I'm a little underwhelmed. One thing that does disappoint me is that with everybody else that Robinson has brought over from his other books, there's no Jimmy Olsen!

Call me crazy, but Robinson's Jimmy Olsen Specials have been the highlight of his return back to DC, so I would actually like to see him come aboard as sort of a modern day Snapper Carr.

Just without all that snapping and mod lingo. I'm not that crazy.

Enough rambling, let's fire up the old Randomizer and see what the next title up for review is...

...and that book is Captain America (Vol. 3) #19 from July 1999, published by Marvel Comics!

Hey look!

It's Sharon Carter possessed by the Red Skull, with Captain America lying dead (or dying) before her!

What's the old saying? "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Or what about the idea that there are only seven different basic plots in literature?

I'm sure it's just all coincidence, and besides, you know you can't trust a comic book cover! So make sure you come on back in a day or two for the review and we'll see what Sharon Carter is really up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment