Monday, July 13, 2009

Up next...The Spectre!

So a couple of weeks ago I took a page out of Stephen Colbert's playbook, and put the continent of Africa "on notice" for not being represented by the visitors coming to my site. We still haven't seen any visitors from the plateau continent, but that's not why I brought it back up.

I'm going to have to do it again, this time putting The Randomizer on notice. Granted, we've only reviewed 12 books out of more than 12,000, but there has been two serious omissions in it's picks so far.

First, where's the 80's love? I can understand him ignoring the 50's, as I only have a handful of issues from that decade...but the 80's was where my comic book interest was born. There was so much good stuff from that time period, and I can't wait to get my hands on an issue or two.

The second thing it needs to be called out for is that it hasn't picked any representation from my favorite character yet. I literally have decades worth of books collected for just this character, and The Randomizer has yet to pick a single issue for me to read. But if I'm suffering, than so must you! I'm going to keep you in suspense about whom this character is until The Randomizer picks one of his/her books for me to review. Sharp eyed readers of this blog can probably figure it out, as there are one or two clues sprinkled around here.

So with all of that said, let's see what Randomizer will choose for me to review next. Will it succumb to my pressure and bend to my demands? I'm gonna guess no...


The next book up for review is The Spectre #2, published by DC Comics from January 1993!

So it's another book from the 90's, but I can forgive The Randomizer this time as it's from the awesome run of The Spectre by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake.

People slag on the 90's an awful lot, but there were some real highlights. Starman gets more than it's fair share of accolades, along with Preacher. I personally think that this run of The Spectre deserves to be right up there with 'em.

It was in the DCU like Starman was, but wasn't a slave to the continuity. It made you think about morality in a complicated way like Preacher did, but never got too high-horse about it.

This is another title that I always said I was going to go back and reread, but have never found the time to, so I'm looking forward to cracking this one open.

In the meantime, feel free to chime in with other hidden (or blatantly obvious) gems from the 90's that you've enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment