Sunday, December 20, 2009

Up next...Action Comics!

I was finally able to squeeze in some reading time in between getting the Christmas shopping done, so let's do some one sentence reviews of this weeks new releases before we get to picking the next random book.

  • Captain America Reborn #5 I just wish this was Captain America #606, rather than Reborn #5.

  • Green Lantern Corps #43 Best use of a non-green ring on a Green Lantern yet!

  • Justice League of America #40 Dark horse contender for best Blackest Night tie-in, although I appear to be the only one on the internet who thinks so.

  • Supergirl #48 Come back, Jamal...come back!

  • Superman/Batman #67 Any book with DC's Frankenstein in it is all right by me.

  • Batman: Streets of Gotham #7 I could stare at Dustin Nguyen's pencils all day long.

  • Power Girl #7 Best use of an homage cover in I can't remember how long.
In fact, that Power Girl cover is so good, let's take a closer look at it side by side with the original.


It takes some serious balls to pull off a costume like the one Vartox is sporting, and from this vantage point I'm not quite sure that he has the necessary requirements. He is an alien however, so I'm sure they're just located somewhere else.

I think we better get to picking the next random book to review, before I have to start having some uncomfortable conversations with myself.

Take it away Randomizer...

...and that book is Action Comics #574 from December 1985, published by DC Comics!

Speaking of nifty covers, there's a nice dramatic one from Eduardo Barreto. He's definitely one of my favorite cover artists from this period of Superman stories.

Here's another one that I always liked that has a similar composition.

It's a shame he never did more interior work for these titles, as he draws a nice looking Superman.

Come back in a day or two for the review to see if the insides live up to the dramatic cover. It's pre-crisis Superman, so I'm just guessing here, but it's probably going to be somewhat more brightly colored and optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment