Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Superheroines on the march...and Hawkeye too!

I don't know about everybody else out there in internet land, but today's comic book day is absolutely monstrous. I think my LCS is pulling close to twenty books for me. I better get the next random book picked before I sit down for some reading, or it's never gonna get picked. But before then, let's play another round of Comic Book Days of Wednesdays Past!

And the first year for us to look at is 1967! It was the summer of love, and what were the kids spending their twelve cents on when they weren't playing with Slinkies, Etch-A-Sketches, or Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots?

It was the million dollar debut of the new Batgirl! I'm surprised that her first appearance wasn't until 1967, and not earlier. I would've lost good money on that bet.

We have time for one more trip to the past, and this time we're off to 1956! What were kids of the baby boomer generation spending their hard-earned dime on when they weren't playing with Play-Doh, Frisbees, or Yahtzee?

Why it's Patsy and her rival in love and fashion, Hedy!

Pop quiz time! Which one of these books was published at the height of the women's liberation movement? Yep...like Bob Dylan used to say, The times, they were a-changin'. Although don't feel too bad for old Patsy Walker, as she would go on to become an Avenger as Hellcat! In your face Hedy Wolfe!

As always, thanks to the fine folks over at The Comic Book Database that make tracking down the issues for this feature way too easy.

So enough looking back, let's get ourselves firmly planted in the here and now and pick the next random book to review.

...and that book is Hawkeye (Vol. 1) #3 from November 1983, published by Marvel Comics!

     Alas, poor Hawkeye! I knew him, dear reader, a fellow of infinite
     jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath bore me on his back a
     thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is!
     My gorge rises at it.


See you in a day or two for the review, where I promise no mention of the identity that dare not speak its name.

No comments:

Post a Comment