Sunday, June 13, 2010

Survey says...Action Comics!

Longtime readers of this blog are aware that if there's two things I love in this world, it's Comic Books and Game Shows. So one of those is probably not true, but I do find that I have an unhealthy fascination with game shows from the 50's all the way up to the mid-80's.

I've never been able to sit through an entire Marx Brothers movie, but who knew that Groucho Marx was so damn funny?

Apparently a bunch of people did.

It just took me fifty-some years to stumble upon the reruns of You Bet Your Life.


So what's the greatest game show of all time, you ask?

Hands down, it has to be The Match Game. Another show where the ad-libbing and riffing with the contestants was the real entertainment, while the trivia and challenges were a mere afterthought.

It's just a shame that The Game Show Network doesn't show reruns of those old shows anymore, instead choosing to air endless televised coverage of Texas Hold 'Em. Yeah, it's a good game and all, but where's the witty banter with the undercurrent of sexual tension?

So what does this have to do with comic books and the Random Longbox? Not much, other than providing me with an appropriate lead-in for this blog post, as we dust off the set of our own little game show...What Did I See While I Was Out On The Road The Other Day?

For those unfamiliar with how this goes, here are the rules. During my travels for my day job, if I see something comic-book related I'll snap a picture. Before I post it however, I'll give you an opportunity to guess what it is. Pretty simple, right?

If you missed the two previous installments, you can test your skills against the rest of the internet fandom here and here.

With all of that out of the way, let's see what today's installment brings...

What Super Hero or Villain Headquarters Did I See While I Was Out On The Road The Other Day?
  • The Ultimates' Triskelion
  • The Joker's Ha-Ha-Hacienda
  • The Legion of Doom's Hall of Doom
  • Green Arrow's Arrowcave
Mull it over, and when you think you know the right answer, just look for the poll over to the top right and click away. If you want to make your individual voice heard, feel free to comment here and let me know how you voted.

UPDATE: Click over here for the answer.

Now, let's get to picking the next random book to review. Take it away Randomizer...

...and that book is Action Comics #600 from May 1988, published by DC Comics!

Oh boy...It's the moment I've been dreading since I started this blog, as it's our first 80 Page Giant. It's a shame that this isn't one of the classic checkerboard ones from the 60's, but it's still eighty pages! I'm going to be blogging about this one for the rest of the month unless I chain myself to the laptop.

It could definitely be worse, as we could've had a book picked without a killer lineup of talent associated with it like we got with this one. Check this list out...
  • Superman & Wonder Woman vs. Darkseid by John Byrne and George Perez!
  • Superman vs. Man-Bat with art by Mike Mignola!
  • Lex Luthor up to no good, with the late Dick Giordano on pencils!
  • Plus we get the return of two great Superman artists from the past with Curt Swan and Kurt Schaffenberger doing Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane stories!
Oh, the burdens I must bear to bring y'all some decent internet entertainment.

I just like to think that it's the Randomizer rewarding me after making me read our last pick again.

See you in a day or two (and the next one...and the next one...and the next one) for the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment