Sunday, July 11, 2010

Odds and sods and Demons

It's been a while since we've looked at the odds and sods from the last couple of weeks, so let's check in with some random thoughts before we pick another book to review.
  • By now I'm sure you've heard about Wonder Woman's new urban-friendly outfit. The jacket caught a lot of flack, but it's actually part of a rash of jacketed super-hero re-imaginings.


    Although it looks like Jim Lee missed the part of the memo that specified that the jackets must be hoodies.


  • I'm not sure how relevant this is to anyone else's collection, but I found it interesting. I have 1,359 comic books in my collection that are first issues. If you take a look at the Randomizer over to the right, you'll see that I have a total of 13,586 books in my database. That's almost exactly 10%, which strikes me as a little on the high side. Although with the amount of relaunches and renumberings over the last twenty years, maybe that's a little low?


  • DC recently announced that Death shall be stepping across the hazy border that separates the Vertigo universe from the DC one. Considering that Vertigo isn't one of the 52, that's quite a feat. To say that I'm looking forward to this is a bit of an understatement, as I'm definitely anxious to see what Paul Cornell is going to do with her and Lex Luthor. Why stop there though, as I'd kill to see a Lex Luthor vs. Red Crow showdown!


  • One of the great things about comics is there is always some character, somewhere that you've never heard of just waiting to be discovered. Case in point...Neptune Perkins. I was reading the DC Multiverse blog this morning, and they had an entry posted on second-string water heroes, in which Neptune Perkins was highlighted. I'm not sure If I'm going to be tracking down all of his appearances, but his super-hero moniker sure did make me chuckle. Good thing he tacked his last name on there, as I'd hate to get him confused with Neptune Jones or, heaven forbid, Neptune himself.
That's enough fooling around, so let's get to the business at hand and pick a new completely random book to review. Take it away, Randomizer...

...and that book is The Demon #22 from April 1992, published by DC Comics!

One look at that cover and I know we're in for a treat. It's not just the fact that it's a bad-ass shot of the Demon, but I'm more excited by the creator listed on the cover...Matt Wagner!

That's right, written and drawn by one of my favorite creators. I've never had too much love for the Demon per se, but you put a creator of Matt Wagner's talent on the book and I'm sold. This character seems like a natural fit for Wagner's style, where magic seems to always run smack dab into reality. The over the top nature of the Demon as a character should give Wagner plenty of space to let loose.

See you in a day or two for the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment