Thursday, August 5, 2010

Captain America...Renaissance Man?

A while back I flagged this pic, and posed the question "What couldn't that shield do?"

Now, I think I was giving too much credit to the shield and not enough to Cap himself, after I came across this pic in the recent Punisher issue we reviewed.

Who knew Captain America had so many talents. I know the super soldier serum transformed him into the perfect physical speciman of a human being, but I was not aware that it also turned him into a virtual renaissance man!

Maybe the question should be what the hell was Cap up to in the 80's? Or more appropriately phrased, what wasn't he up to in the 80's? It's like he's Marvel's Ronald McDonald.

Keep your eyes peeled, loyal Random Longbox reading audience, and shoot me an email if you should ever come across any other of Cap's secret hidden talents. In the meantime, let's get the Randomizer fired up to pick the next book to review. Take it away, Randomizer...

...and that book is Doom Patrol #56 from June 1992, published by DC Comics!

And here I thought that pic of Cap tap-dancing was unsettling, but I can't even begin to comprehend what's going on on this cover by Simon Bisley. Let's see...naked chick holding a lamb, thigh deep in water being navigated by a biker wearing a rotary dial phone hat. If I was you, naked lady on the cover, I think I'd let that particular phone call go to voice mail. It looks like you have your hands full already.

Coming back to reality, and it looks like we're in for a treat with this one as Grant Morrison makes his first appearance here at Random Longbox. This series was also my first introduction to the mad genius of Morrison.

I'll be back in a day or two with the review, but until then I want you all to make sure that you're caught up on your medications (both prescription and otherwise) and that you have your safe words updated...for once we go through the looking glass that is Morrison's Doom Patrol, I can't be held responsible for your personal safety and/or sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment